Thursday, January 14, 2010

January Blues.....

2010 has not been great so far. COLD very cold. We even dropped into the teens. My rain barrel froze solid. That's something I've never seen before.
Had bought some Fig trees....and while doing some research on them...discovered they do not like the cold either. I am going to try to espalier them.  Was thinking a fan shape.  Well that is if they survived... If not ...well gotta love the 1year plant guarantee from Lowes and Home Depot.

Speaking of big box stores....their seeds and summer bulbs are in. Got some Dahlias, Amaryllis, seed potatoes, and grapes.  Got some bright pink amaryllis.  Can't wait til they bloom...I am not sure they'll actually turn out to be pink.  Not the first time that has happened. 

The one day with sunny barely tolerable to be outside temperature, I dug the new homes for the grapes. Unfortunately, the winds started, and the cold front moved in.
I also picked the last 50gal of lemons from the trees...figured freezing temps were not going to extend their lives. Currently squeezing and freezing the juice. We've given away sooo many lemons, thrown away probably 50gal of some that went bad. Mayer Lemons are great... the baby fruits all dropped from the trees, as did most of the foliage. Tried to wrap the trees with X-mas lights and cover with tarp. Time will tell if they survived or not.
Same goes for my potatoes, the tops froze off.  I think this is the year I definately have to set up my red-neck hoop house.  Did look good Illuminated with multi color christmas lights.  It's just too cold to attempt to go outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment